Smoke Odor Removal Services Irvine CA
Tobacco smoke creates an odor that is notorious for its ability to saturate living spaces and persist long after its source is gone. Inspectors may be asked by clients who recently purchased a smoke-infused home, or by sellers before their house goes on the market, about how to remedy the situation.
Facts About Tobacco Smoke and its Residue
- Smoke particles can be as small as .001% of the width of a human hair, which allows them to penetrate almost any part of a house. Tobacco smoke can easily circulate through a building’s ventilation system or come up through apartment floors. Tenant/tenant and tenant/landlord disputes commonly arise when smoke odors penetrate adjacent housing units.
- It is not clear whether tobacco smoke odor is dangerous or if it is merely a nuisance. While tobacco smoke is a known carcinogen, little is known about the health effects of the particles that are left in the air after you can no longer see the smoke. The American Cancer Society states of cigarette odors, “Though unknown, the cancer-causing effects would likely be very small compared with direct secondhand smoke exposure, such as living in a household that has a smoker.”
The following materials are believed to be capable of absorbing or neutralizing tobacco smoke odors, at least temporarily:
- vinegar. Place a bowl of vinegar in each affected room overnight.
- citrus. Leave a large amount of citrus peels in your home for several days or until they have become desiccated.
- baking soda. Sprinkle baking soda over the smoke-affected area and let it sit for a few hours before vacuuming it up. Be sure to test the baking soda on a small part of the surface to ensure that the surface or fabric doesn't react unfavorably to the baking soda.
- coffee grounds. Pour coffee grounds into several coffee filters and tie them closed, leaving them in affected areas.
- charcoal. As you would with vinegar, place charcoal into bowls and leave them in smoke-infused rooms overnight.
Removal Strategies for Smoke Odor
- Open all windows and turn on fans. Ventilation is probably the best way to remove any odor.
- Clean light bulbs. Just as some scent-diffusers rely on heat from light bulbs to disperse the aroma of the scented oil, it's possible that the oily residue from nicotine and other cigarette byproducts is dispersed throughout the living area the same way. Anecdotal reports suggest that light bulbs attract smoke residue. It has also been claimed that bulbs will release smoke odors when they are turned on. Perhaps replacing incandescent bulbs with higher-efficiency bulbs that do not get as hot would help alleviate this problem.
- Thoroughly clean all hard surfaces, preferably with cleaners that contain ammonia, although woodwork requires cleaners that are not as acidic.
- Surfaces may be painted to trap odor, although it may be possible for odors to gradually seep through paint barriers.
- Remove carpeting, as it is nearly impossible to remove smoke particles from carpet. Thoroughly scrub the flooring beneath before installing new carpet. If the carpet cannot be replaced, have it professionally cleaned.
- Soak blinds in a bathtub full of all-purpose cleaner, scrub them thoroughly, and hang them to dry.
- Send curtains out to be professionally cleaned or replace them.
- Purchase a chemical sponge to remove smoke residue from lampshades, books and other materials.
- Use an ozone generator. Ozone, as it has three oxygen atoms, is highly unstable and will oxidize easily. When it is introduced into an area, ozone attaches itself to the odor molecules and oxidizes them into their basic elements--carbon dioxide and hydrogen, which have no odor. Beware that ozone is dangerous and ozone generators should only be used in unoccupied spaces. Be sure to read our article on the subject before purchasing an ozone generator.
- Use a HEPA filter.
- Burn “smoker candles.” Candles that contain enzymes to help neutralize and remove smoke odors are widely available. They may also be used to remove cooking and pet odors.
- Replace all heating and air filters regularly, as they tend to harbor cigarette odors and other irritants.
In summary, there are a variety of ways to remove cigarette smoke odors from buildings.
Credits to NACHI by Nick Gromicko, CMI®
Soot and Ash
After a fire and the damage that it has caused, homeowners are left with soot, ash and smoke damage all over the place. These after effects of the fire damage can further cause damage to your property and it will smell like smoke, unless it is handled properly by professionals. For a successful clean up, there are some specialized restoration products like HEPA filters and HEPA vacuums that are extremely important. As a whole, remediation process should be left with professional restoration team like 24/7 Water Damage Restoration Wiping down the surface alone won’t help. Those counter tops, carpets and furniture that are porous and fibrous will absorb the smoke odor deep into them. One of the field operators will assess the extent of damage and take the necessary remediation efforts for removing odor from your home.
Besides the household appliances, ductwork and HVAC systems are a common place for the odor and soot to get trapped. When the remediation process is being carried out, one of the field operators will help to determine if these have been by any chance compromised. In case they have not been yet, they will then be sealed to maintain the cleanliness during the entire remediation process. Moreover, if the HVAC and other appliances have been damaged, a deem chemical clean will be required for this. Needless to say, any of the replacement of these systems will be required if the damage exceeds a certain extent.
Furthermore, depending on what the size of your property is and the magnitude of smoke damage, 24/7 Smoke Odor Removal will help implement varying remediation plans. Sometimes, large-scale jobs require licensed contractors when the structural components of the house have been compromised or in case the water damage results from fire being extinguished. At this stage, the demolition and rebuilding are also required. Not to mention that fires are quite detrimental. However, with concise planning, it can be easily dealt with in a very timely and stress-free manner. 24/7 Smoke Odor Removal is fully trained and experienced enough in working with the homeowners to get to know the best ways to restore their properties back to their original condition ASAP.
Are you experiencing fire damage at your home? Let us know, because we can surely help you!
Whenever you experience something traumatic and devastating like a fire at your residence or your business place, we can help you out remediate all the damage with our Los Angeles fire damage restoration services. We will work hard to reduce the damage as much as possible and also do the recovery of your valuable belongings. 24/7 Smoke Odor Removal will make use of some of the high-tech equipment along with fine-tuned techniques, which ensures that your beautiful property, including the ceilings and walls are restored to their original state as close to their feasible state. Moreover, the specialists of fire and smoke removal at 24/7 Smoke Odor Removal will work at their best potential to restore your property and minimize the long-term damage which is caused by soot and ash, commonly dispersed within the air.
Your First 24 Hours Are Extremely Crucial
We understand the seriousness of the situation, that is why we offer a rapid response for halting the ongoing damage process that is caused by the acid in smoke and soot. Both of these acids can cause a lot of damage to the structure and contents of your house. The professional fire damage technicians at 24/7 Water Damage Restoration will quickly arrive at your location and begin the inspection process. After inspecting the extend of damage, they will provide you with accurate, complete and a fair estimate for all of the needed repairs.
- 24/7 Emergency Services
- 30-Minute Response
- Insurance Approved
- A+ Company
Local and Leading Los Angeles Fire Damage Experts You Can Rely On!
Our technicians are IICRC certified and they have all the latest skills and knowledge that is require to test for all the affected materials and to help you restore your property and belonging to their original state as soon as possible. Our team works in tandem with you and your insurance provider as well, which ensures that all of the cleanup and restoration process is performed quickly, professionally and safely. Best of all, our 24/7 emergency response services helps to ensure that our Los Angeles fire damage restoration technicians reach your location ASAP after the phone call. Being the most experienced and trustworthy Los Angeles fire damage, soot and smoke removal companies, we have come to realize that in most of the fire damage cases, irrespective of the scale of damage, an immediate attention is extremely crucial an required. Any kind of delays will only lead to more odors and soot becoming absorbed deeper into the walls and flooring, which makes them extremely difficult to get rid of. Our 24/7 Los Angeles fire damage restoration services will make sure that you will get back to your normal life as soon as possible.
Once again, don’t worry about the level or scale of fire damage that has occurred at your home. Our professionals can help you get out of any situation that you are facing at the very moment.
From the time damage happens, there are plenty of things you have to take care of. This also includes the public adjusters, insurance representatives and other restoration companies who will want the business while you are still struggling with the loss that has occurred. We highly recommend you to take a moment and evaluate various choices that are available at your disposable. 24/7 Water Damage Restoration is your first and the best choice because we are fully certified, insured and approved as well. We will always be there whenever you need out help, no matter what time of the day or night it is. In case there is fire that has badly impacted your home or business, give us the chance to put things back to normal again.
What Steps You Should Take If You Experience Fire Damage In Irvine CA
Step1: Contact An Emergency Service Immediately
Your first step should be to call an emergency service immediately. After the fire department has put out the fire and has deemed that your property is now safe, next you should be calling for restoration services. The sooner you contact for restoration services, the less damage will spread.
Ideally, you should contact a service that offers 24/7 restoration service. These companies will quickly reach your location, assess the damage and finally begin the restoration process.
Step 2: Assessing The Damage Caused By Fire
After getting in touch with the fire restoration company, the first thing they will is assess the level of damage that has occurred. They will take into consideration everything and tell how far the fire, soot, smoke and water have moved throughout the property and the damage that it has caused. This initial assessment will help you know about the damage that has occurred throughout your house, especially to the ceilings, walls and furniture.
This step is actually very important for the restoration company so that they can understand how to begin the restoration process and what will be their plan of action.
Step 3: Securing Property From Further Damage
After the assessment is complete, your fire restoration company will then apply tarps and sealing to heavily damaged areas that have resulted holes in the roof, walls and ceilings. This helps prevent any further damage taking place. In most of the scenarios, fire restoration service will be experienced enough with water damage. Fire causes pipes to burst, which results in bursting of damaged pipes and it stops the flow of water before it gets the chance of spreading throughout your property.
Step 4: The Clean-Up Phase
This phase takes place once everything has been secured. Your fire damage restoration company will start with cleaning up the water, smoke and soot throughout the property. Your rooms will definitely look dark, stained and charred. Your fire restoration service will then clean up all of the damaged areas, which helps in making your property appear as normal as possible.
Another important thing that your fire restoration company will do is remove the odors that are caused by smoke. This includes odors that are embedded in carpets, furniture and other rooms that were affected by fire and lingering smoke. This will help to thoroughly clean everything and bring back the best possible repair.
Step 5: Fire Damage Renovation & Repair
In case the cabinets were damaged, your fire damage restoration team will help you repair or replace the new cabinets. This also involves the carpets and walls that require repainting, wallpaper rehung and also replacement of the drywall whenever necessary.
Within this phase, your restoration company will bring your property back to its good condition.
Step 6: Fire Damage Restoration Consultation
After the fire damage restoration process is fully complete, a lot of companies will offer you a briefing and consultation service, that teaches on how to prevent any future fires. These people are knowledgeable and whatever they recommend should be taken seriously. The fire could also be caused by something which was totally preventable in the very first place. So, do take their advice seriously.
24/7 Water Damage Restoration Is The #1 Smoke & Fire Damage Company In Irvine CA
It is very important that you undertake each of the step of property restoration process along with intense keenness and also ensure that it is correctly done, because failure of this procedure or overlooking even the simplest things can result in some serious problems. Moreover, fire restoration is a dangerous thing that shouldn’t be done by homeowners and should be left with professionals only. So, if you are looking for someone to take care of your home restoration professionally, 24/7 Water Damage Restoration can help you. Give us a call today, and get a free of cost estimate.